Friday, December 5, 2008

Book This Week: December 1st - 7th 2008

It's almost embarrassing to admit this, but what the heck...

The book I'm reading this week is Philosophy for Dummies by Tom Morris, PhD (author of "If Aristotle Ran General Motors") :-)

It might seem ridiculous for a PhD student in Philosophy to be reading such a book; I gotta admit, though, I am friggin' loving it! I came to Philosophy via experimental theater & playwrighting with absolutely no formal background in Philosophy proper. I've never taken an "intro to philosophy" class, and my reading of philosophy books has not been comprehensive in any way. I follow my whims, love the passionate guys, steer clear of the dry and boring stuff, and make no claims of being an expert on the topic at all. So, a clear, concise, funny overview of the ENTIRE HISTORY OF PHILOSOPHY is a very welcome trip for my brain.

Also, one of my great objectives with my dissertation is to write something PROFOUND (of course) yet also PROFOUNDLY SIMPLE. It is my belief that the truth can be explained to a 5 year old, and that it doesn't require high-fallutin' lingo and an in-depth knowledge of Heideggerand Kantto be able to get the gist of the meaning of life.

So, thank you Tom Morris for being one smart mofo who knows how to lay it out simple. :-)

No comments: