Friday, December 12, 2008

Toilet Books

I know that for some folks (especially the poets and authors themselves) it's considered a sacrilege to read on the toilet. Busy-body and multi-tasker that I am, however, I find bathroom time to be much-needed PRIME time for MORE READING!!

In fact, the first time I read Moby-Dick: or, The Whale, it was almost entirely accomplished, cover-to-cover, in the bathroom. Now, before you start cracking any jokes about my bowel movements, please know that much of that was done in the bath tub! I count tub time as "bathroom time" as well.

Right now I'm slowly working my way through The Counterlife by Philip Roth during my time in the privy. Somehow I think he'd dig it that I'm experiencing it that way. :-)

I do not, however, count my "bathroom books" among my "One Book : One Week" books, so don't feel cheated. I am still on task.

This week's read is The Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzsche, that bad ass philosopher with a hammer and nails to spare. Yee-haw. I'll have more to say on that tomorrow. Today, I'm contemplating Zionist Jews upon my porcelain throne thanks to Nathan Zuckerman.

No comments: